David Boyes <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>Related idea: I think a very useful addition/requirement to SPXTAPE
>would be to add a (STREAM option to SPXTAPE that presented the data as a
>CP IUCV service or accepted an IUCV connection to a service and wrote
>that data to spool. One could then connect a simple pipeline to the IUCV
>service and write to tape/disk/network socket/whatever the pipeline
>wanted to do with the output. The metadata for the spool file could
>easily be added to the stream (similar to the method used by DISK DUMP
>or CARD DUMP) and read on restore.

Hmm...well, it wouldn't be (STREAM since it's a CP command, and CP commands
don't use parens for options.  But it seems ironic to suggest backing up spool
files to spool; I think it would be simpler to do what V/SEG-PLUS does, and
back them up (really just copy spool data pages) to virtual memory -- then the
data could be written wherever you'd like.

...phsiii