If you have to re-IPL in order to free the system, please use the PSW RESTART feature from the HMC.  This will force a dump, before re-IPLing itself.

You should also "play" with this process in order to make sure your system is properly set up to handle dumps.  See the z/VM V5R2.0 CP Planning and Administration guide for the amount of storage needed, and how to dedicate space you need for it (see the section on the CP_OWNED Statement).

To "play" with this process, issue a SNAPDUMP during a time frame least disruption to your system (it temporally holds/halts all activity while dumping in use CP storage) to the OPERANTS reader (RDRL).  The DUMPLOAD command then downloads the dumps to disk (the command can be issued just like that, with no parameters, so long as your A disk is large enough to hold it).

Al these commands are located in the z/VM V5R2.0 CP Commands and Utilities Reference.  All these publications can be found at: http://www.vm.ibm.com/library/

And so long as you are running a supported release, please just open a PMR.  Someone from here can always help with the process.  Thanks and Best Regards,

Kurt Acker

William Boyer <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

09/13/2006 12:02 PM

Please respond to
The IBM z/VM Operating System <IBMVM@LISTSERV.UARK.EDU>

IBMVM@LISTSERV.UARK.EDU
cc
Subject
Re: LPAR Frozen with HIGH CPU

No VM System dump. No Performance Toolkit records. This is the first time that I remember this ever happening so I am not real familiar with dumping the VM system.  Would there been a way I could have force a dump of the VM system?

Thanks.

William L. Boyer
Senior Systems Programmer

ViPS(, an Emdeon Company
One West Pennsylvania Avenue
Baltimore, MD  21204
Office:  410.832.8300 ext. 8419
Fax:     410.832.8327

This message is confidential, intended only for the named recipient(s) and may contain information that is privileged or exempt from disclosure under applicable law.  If you are not the intended recipient(s), you are notified that the dissemination, distribution, or copying of this message is strictly prohibited.  If you receive this message in error or are not the named recipient(s), please notify the sender at either the fax address or telephone number above and delete this message.  Thank you.