On Wednesday, 09/13/2006 at 12:17 EDT, Terrence Ford
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> A formerly reliable HP LJ 8150DN has suddenly,
> "We haven't changed anything" they report, begun refusing connections:
[snip]
> Looking up that "54" doesn't advance the cause much:
>
> Message       Code      Description
> ECONNRESET    54        Connection reset by peer.
>
> Anyone have any ideas on what might be wrong and how
> to resolve it?

On the surface, the remote system doesn't like you and is closing its
connection.  It should have something in its logs, too, maybe.  (Dunno how
sophisticated the printer is...maybe it has a web interface that would be
revealing?)

There is a rare (?) situation that can occur when two hosts have the same
IP address.  The open is successful to the Good Host, but ARP caches are
updated along the way and the Bad Host doesn't know anything about the
packets, so it issues an RST, causing the local host to report ECONNRESET.
 A sniffer trace on the printer's LAN would reveal this condition and it
would confirm that the printer is responsible.  (This situation is "rare"
because the interference has to occur after a successful open.)