From: The IBM z/VM Operating System [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On
Behalf Of Tom Cluster
Sent: Tuesday, September 26, 2006 8:37 PM
To: IBMVM@LISTSERV.UARK.EDU
Subject: Multiple HOSTS LOCAL files to match multiple TCPIP files?

I'm trying to configure my TCP/IP virtual machines so that when
they're restored to our DR environment they will work correctly
without any changes.  I have multiple TCPIP files, one for each CPU,
because the selection of the filename to be used is based on the
nodeid from the SYSTEM NETID file, with PROFILE TCPIP being used if
there is no match.  However, that leaves the HOSTS LOCAL file.  I
can't find a similar way to automate the selection of this file (as
well as its two generated files).

Perhaps a better question to ask is this:

Do I really need to worry about the HOSTS LOCAL file?  We only use VM
TCP/IP for TN3270 and FTP, and both seem to work perfectly well even
if the HOSTS LOCAL file is for the wrong IP stack.  Our HOSTS LOCAL
files contain only a single HOST and a single GATEWAY
statement.  When I restore my production system to my DR system,
TN3270 and FTP work fine on the DR system even though the HOSTS LOCAL
file contains entries for the production system.

       - Tom.

Tom Cluster
County of Sonoma
Santa Rosa, CA
(707) 565-3384 (Tuesdays and Wednesdays only)