The following is a snippet of a SMTPVERX EXEC:

Trace 'OFF'
retstring=''
return_code=0
Parse Source . . exec_name .
I_dent="Verify Client Exit ("||exec_name||")"
spaces=Copies(" ",Length(I_dent))
Parse Arg smtp_parms,command_string,helo_name,.,.,.
Parse Var smtp_parms exit_type version mail_id smtp_port
say 'Mail from' client_ipaddr client_port
^^^^^^ snip ^^^^^^^^

This is mostly from the sample EXEC with the earlier RETURN commented out. The
last line of the snippet has been added. We have enabled the exit as evidenced
by this message which is displayed at start-up:

18:11:01 Client Verification            : Exit SMTPVERX EXEC ON

and by this exchange:

sm smtp verify query
Ready; T=0.01/0.01 20:54:11
 * From SMTP: VERIFYCLIENT exit SMTPVERX EXEC ON

After SMTP is up and running, we have successfully sent several e-mails to
outside recipients. Nothing shows up on the SMTP console. We have tried
changing the say to a 'CP MSG userid ... to no avail; we also tried call diag
8, 'MSG ... - no messages were received. What does it take to get this to work?

Other particulars:

*       z/VM 5.2.0 Level 0601+
*       Our SMTPVERX EXEC is the first file by that name in the search order.
*       The console is spooled.
*       The VERIFYCLIENT DELAY is the default, documented as being 10 seconds.
We have not specified it.

Regards,
Richard Schuh