On Monday, 12/04/2006 at 02:33 PST, "Schuh, Richard" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
wrote:
> Pipelining a machine and adding caches does throw a monkey wrench into
> the discussion. Add interrupts and you really have a mess. That is one
> reason why the performance guys like to preface every sentence with
> "YMMV" or "It depends" :-)

...and is why, unless we're in a performance-sensitive area of code, we
avoid spending time worrying about the speed of a particular instruction
(laden or unladen).  You get into endless arguments that are religious in
nature and based on 30-year-old machine designs.  :-)