On Wednesday, 01/17/2007 at 11:32 CST, Tom Duerbusch
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> I'm still having problems after last nights tests...
>
> Where Miguel says you don't have to have a HOST entry, when I leave it
> out, I don't get connected.  When I put one in, I do get connected (but
> routing is still off).
>
> I'm now using the IUCV connection to a SLES9 31 bit with SP 1 machine
> that was working when we were under z/VM 5.1.  For now, I'm setting the
> VSE/ESA 2.3 machines aside as it is all unsupported code and there might
> be some outstanding PTFs that now come into play.  (Of course that could
> also be true with only SP 1 being applied on the Linux side.)
>
> So with the following HOME statements:
>
> HOME
> 205.235.227.74 255.255.255.000 QDIO1
> ; 192.168.099.227 HOST
> ; HOST PRODUCES:  DTCPAR123I LINE 211: UNKNOWN LINK NAME IN HOME CMD

You can't put "HOST" in the HOME statement.  Just subnet masks.  If you
get errors in your PROFILE, it's hard to tell what worked and what didn't.
 You gotta have a clean startup.

> 192.168.099.227 255.255.255.000 LLINUX27

As I said previously, you put only VM IP addresses in the HOME list, not
other hosts' IP addresses.  What is VM's IP address w.r.t. LLINUX27?  You
MUST choose a unique IP address for the VM TCP/IP end of EVERY p2p
connection, whether it's CTC or IUCV.  You need to define a subnet that
contains both VM and LLINUX27.  This is why the choice of subnet mask
255.255.255.252 -- it defines a subnet with exactly two (and only two)
hosts in it.  Unfortunately, a /30 subnet can't have .227 as a host
address because it's the broadcast address for the the .224/30 subnet
(only .225 and .226 can be assigned).  Now, if you broaden the mask to /29
(255.255.255.248), then you can have them both in the same subnet.

> GATEWAY
> ; Network       Subnet          First           Link             MTU
> ; Address       Mask            Hop             Name             Size
>
> 192.168.099.227 HOST            =             LLINUX27         9216

That entry looks good, AFTER you create a subnet mask that allows it and
the matching HOME IP address to coexist in the same subnet.

The presence of the HOST route will enable you to use that /29 to cover
multiple p2p pairs.  The .224 network will be located "behind VM TCP/IP"
in all cases, but the host routes will tell the stack which interface to
use.