On Jan 23, 2007, at 11:37 AM, Dave Jones wrote:

I think the first order of business here would be to define what it is we would like to see VM support in the area of "guest migration". I think we could all agree on the following requirements:

1) VM needs the capability to migrate running guest operating systems from one LPAR or physical processor to another LPAR or physical processor, *with no loss of functionality by the guest*. 2) In order to achieve such a capability, certain guest virtual machine configuration setups might need to be done beforehand, e.g., each guest virtual machine CP definition in each system must be identical.

I think this is what we are after, correct?

There's also an issue of WHAT needs to be available 24x7.

For a single guest system image to be available implies serialization of the entire state of the guest, including memory and device state. That's pretty hard and imposes lots of architectural limitations on the guests. If you want to do it for unplanned migration, you're also talking about a *lot* of bandwidth to keep the hot memory images in sync (the model I'm thinking of here is VMware's vmotion) at all times, and that will impose a significant performance penalty on the images.

On the other hand, if all you need is *service* availability, well, Linux-HA is probably adequate (as would be something like Symantec's VCS (which may even be available for System z)). In that case you basically end up with shared DASD (and IO fencing) between the systems, a virtual IP address that you can move, and then, say, agents to start up/shut down a database (assuming that a database instance is your service) on a new node if it faults on the first node, acquire disk groups, mount volumes, etc.

SCSI-3 persistent reservations give you what you need to do IO fencing in a FC environment. I would think that you could play similar games with shared ECKD, although I don't know if Linux is aware of how to do that.

In short, I'd say you're much better off providing service rather than image availability, as that's in many ways a much, much easier problem.

Adam