Hi Folks,

     We are in the process of 'decommissioning' our mainframe platform
(MP3000 runing v/VM 3.1).  We formatted all our internal and external
DASD (3380s and 3390s) using ICKDSF R16 with the following command:

               CPVOLUME FORMAT UNIT(nnn) NOVERIFY VOLID(Lnnn)     -
where nnn is the real pack address

    We formatted most of the packs on VM, then shut down the system and
formatted the CP-owned packs using ICKDSF standalone.

     Now that the work is done, we are getting questions as to whether
ICKDSF formatting conforms to certain Department of Defense standards
which recommends multiple formats to guarantee all data has been
removed.

     The ICKDSF manual reads that CPVOLUME FORMAT writes CP information
to cylinder 0 and then lays out 4K pages on the remaining cylinders.
Does anyone know whether this means 4K pages comprising of binary
zeroes?  Since our DASD are CKD, what happens to any tracks (if any)
that don't fall into 4K boundaries?  Is formatting a pack once good
enough to insure all data is irrecoverable?  Any assistance with these
questions would be greatly appreciated.  Thank you.

Cliff Brenner
Pace University Computer Systems Dept.