After reviewing the DoD specifications for destruction by overwriting, I
would say that your method does not meet them. Specifications are
available here:
http://www.tricare.mil/tmis_new/ia/02%20-%20Sanitization.pdf , section
3.1.2. They specify that you must overwrite with a pattern, then the
complement of the pattern, then with random data. They further specify
that you must overwrite the entire disk, "independent of any BIOS or
firmware capacity that the system may have". Among other things.

My question would be, do you really need to meet DoD specifications? If
so, you'll probably need something like FDRERASE, which is certified to
meet those specifications.