Rob van der Heij <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote (in part):

> But I am tempted to reply that I need to see the first case where
> there is a valid reason to know what the maximum value is if you're
> not going to use it...

In our case we have an EXEC that set up a GUEST region (OS) with a
requested store. If we just believe the requestor, and the amount they
request is too large, we loose control. So, we try to validate the request
before we action it.

On 32bit VM we used to define 2047M (more than that gave a different
message) but now, on 64 bit Z/VM,  we define 9999M as we are unlikely to
have a user larger than that. However, I do agree with Greg that 16E is
probably the best option.

Colin Allinson
Amadeus Data Processing