--- Alan Ackerman <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
wrote:

> On Tue, 27 Feb 2007 09:54:19 -0800, Dave Wade
> <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>
> >I wonder why you need two LDAP directories. AD is
> >basically an LDAP directory. You use LDAP to access
> it
> >like any other LDAP directory. As usual for MS it
> >chooses to implement things in a different, but
> >perfectly legal way. If you have multiple domains
> you
> >may need to use other protocols to access.
> >
> >Dave

> I wonder why, too. I did ask, but all I got was "for
> historical reasons".
> This is a big shop that grew mostly by mergers and
> acquisitions. Some
> people listen to Microsoft and some people listen to
> Solaris and some
> people listen to the z/OS part of IBM and some
> people listen to the Tivoli
> part of IBM, etc.
>
> But mostly I am looking for anyone who has actually
> tried to use CMS with
> Active Directory, either for authorization or to
> extract data out of the
> LDAP directory.

Alan,

 I havn't tried any of that, and I don't have any
chance to. The Microsoft stuff I can build in a
virtual PC using MS virtual PC or Virtual server. I
can legally load the 90 day evals of W2003 and build
an AD imported from the real directory. What I can't
easily do is add a ring fenced zVM because it would
have to run on the real mainframe. To get at that I
would have to arrange connectivity for test traffic
onto the data centre LAN and that might be real
tricky. In fact I feel so faint at the thought of
drawing up the change requests, I think I'll pour
myself a beer, and go to bed. It is 30 after midnight
here in the UK after all.

However this is where a small test box which could be
put on an isolated LAN would be oh so usefull, but as
we have already noted IBM have killed PSI and FunSoft.

Dave.

Have a burning question?