I'm glad that, as a struggling math major in college in the mid-60's, I went into computers instead of trying to keep up with higher math such as the number of cylinders on a disk. I thought that an orthogon was a type of crooked 4-sided shape but Google says: '*Orthogonal*' means mutually independent, non-redundant, non-overlapping, or irrelevant. In computer terminology, something is *orthogonal* if it can be used *...

*I give up.
Jim

Alan Altmark wrote:
Architecturally, the number of cylinders is orthogonal to the model number. It just so happens that our model 'n' has 'm' number of cylinders on it. The number of cylinders actually comes from the device itself. (E.g. note minidisks have the device type of the underlying rdev, but have fewer cyls.)

Jim Bohnsack
Cornell University
(607) 255-1760
[EMAIL PROTECTED]