On 3/8/07, Jim Bohnsack <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

*I give up.

Don't...  The books say "orthogonal" is about "a right angle" or the
product being zero. So I guess the dependency between model number and
the number of cylinders makes sense when you come from the right angle
;-)

Alan Altmark wrote:
> Architecturally, the number of cylinders is orthogonal to the model
> number.  It just so happens that our model 'n' has 'm' number of cylinders
> on it.  The number of cylinders actually comes from the device itself.

Sir Alan probably had the thumb at the wrong spot in the dictionary.
Maybe he meant "independent" or "not defined by" instead. Working with
mini disks we have learned not to expect the model number to define
the number of cylinders, and we probably rarely have to.

IMHO it's an omission that the number of cylinders of the disk is not
in the monitor data.

Rob
--
Rob van der Heij