From: The IBM z/VM Operating System [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On
Behalf Of Sikich, Frank J.
Sent: March 22, 2007 13:44
To: IBMVM@LISTSERV.UARK.EDU
Subject: How are you handling z/Linux

Hello All:

   I am wondering how everyone handles maintenance in your VM
environment with your zLinux instances.  We are trying to push to move
some of our UNIX servers to zLinux but the argument that arises each
time we apply maintenance we have to cycle VM (when we do a put2prod).
In the last month we went to 5.2, DST maintenance and we found we were
missing a PTF for PerfMon.  This cause us to have to cycle VM and drew
some concerns from our zLinux users.  The struggle is that our midrange
world claims to apply patches to the UNIX servers only once or twice a
year and they are concern that they will have more interruption on
zLinux.  I hope other shops encountered this argument and I am hoping
you can give me insight on combating it.

Also to note we just implemented z/VM on two CEC's and plan to allow
failover between the two machines.  I am hoping this will resolve some
issues.  We are in the infant stages of implementing z/VM and z/Linux
but we are trying to get it right the first time.  I have searched and
found all the HA doc's and Redbooks but I am looking for any input on
this issue.

Thanks

Frank J. Sikich Jr.

EPS - Mainframe Support

phone: 216.257.8012

email: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
<mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

pager: [EMAIL PROTECTED] <mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

-------------------
***National City made the following annotations
-------------------

This communication is a confidential and proprietary business
communication. It is intended solely for the use of the designated
recipient(s). If this communication is received in error, please contact
the sender and delete this communication.
===================

it is addressed and may contain confidential and/or privileged material.  Any
review retransmission dissemination or other use of or taking of any action in
reliance upon this information by persons or entities other than the intended
recipient or delegate is strictly prohibited.  If you received this in error
please contact the sender and delete the material from any computer.  The
integrity and security of this message cannot by guaranteed on the Internet.
The Sender accepts no liability for the content of this e-mail or for the
consequences of any actions taken on basis of the information provided.  The
recipient should check this e-mail and any attachments for the presence of
viruses.  The sender accepts no liability for any damage caused by any virus
transmitted by this e-mail.  This disclaimer is the property of the TTC and
must not be altered or circumvented in any manner.