I tend to agree with Steve M.  My newbies have had pretty much the same
experience I'd say.  What usually trips them up is the stuff we've had
forever (examples -- our stuff for processing audit, account,
performance data, .. etc) and the fact that the vendor doc isn't exactly
geared for newbies either (e.g. CA :).  None of the software seems to be
good at telling you how to get from one version to another (very few
products tell you that you can use alternate minidisks and a quick edit
of the directory entry to flip --- or they are even worse and mix their
code and configuration stuff on the same minidisks, trusting that you'll
want to do the upgrade by running some exec and hoping for the best
instead of allowing you to have test copies).

>Ultimately, I'm trying to answer the question: if you have
>CMS-oriented users today, where are they going to go? How are
>you going to get them there? We've got plenty of evidence that
>TSO certainly isn't it. What are your choices, and how do you
>salvage as much of the existing already-built-and-paid-for
>business logic as you can?

I think that's an old question these days.  Around here, it's pretty
hard to find a CMS-only oriented person.  Everyone's been on a server
(when you've got like 10,000 of them, it's not hard :).   I don't see
any new CMS applications being deployed (and haven't in quite some
number of years).  The applications folks have to know Java now and
databases, and not all that much about their operating systems clearly.

Marcy Cortes

"This message may contain confidential and/or privileged information.
addressee, you must not use, copy, disclose, or take any action based on
this message or any information herein.  If you have received this
and delete this message.  Thank you for your cooperation."