From: The IBM z/VM Operating System [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On
Behalf Of George Haddad
Sent: Wednesday, May 02, 2007 5:36 PM
To: IBMVM@LISTSERV.UARK.EDU
Subject: Re: [IBMVM] z/VM usability

I'm not sure this is a problem with only VM. Having "grown up" with
old-school IBM tech manuals and CMS HELP, I still find *IX "man pages"
to be cryptic on many occasions. But *IX is taught extensively in
schools so that "newbies" arrive with a working knowledge.

As for getting from one-version to another, a very wise man (Vito!)
taught me early in my sysprog days, that Rule Number 1 is "make sure you
can always get back to yesterday". This was almost trivial with a
working knowledge of VM due to its modularity. We were almost always
able to install maint/upgrades one component at a time. Made  it great
for  troubleshooting/backout. You are correct, Marcy, that most vendors
don't document the common VM maintenance tricks -- and for that matter,
is GENIPLER ever going to be "standard" ?? But that said, at least the
facilities exist.

With Windows servers, I find myself often having to update multiple
components at once. Backing off a patch is iffy at best. Talk about
mixing code and config !!The only "sure bet" is a good image restore.
And the Windows Registry design is a nightmare IMO.

Fortunately virtualization is on its way. It's still lacking I/O
performance to keep it from hosting  many prime-time apps, but I'm told
the next generation Intel processors will address this by including
features that sound an awful lot like DAT. Geez we're almost back to the
1970s! This won't address the MS complexities per se, but will make
backoffs an awful lot less painful.