Well, this was a surprise. No response at ALL???

So... I went ahead and *tried* it! ack... that is not
the way I like to do things, but happily, everything seems fine.
Of course I did NOT put in conflicting routes, I just
replaced the old
10         10.1.5.1        T2216     1500         0.255.0.0   0
with the new
10       =       LAN10      1500         0.255.0.0  0

My worries about apps getting confused when VM responds
out of 10.0.0.7 (after the application went to 10.1.5.2) were
unnecessary, everything works fine. (Even ping!)

That still leaves me with the final question
of my previous posting:

> In addition to all this, there is another BIG problem
> with junking the 2216. We still have sites with 3270
> dumb terminals. These go through a complicated
> route, which I HOPE I can depict correctly:
>
> (3270) -- (~3174) -- <SDLC> -- (router) -- <DLSW> -- (router) -- <LLC> --
> (2216) -- <ESCON> -- (VM/VTAM)
>
> Back in 2002, Alan wrote:
>
> > Sorry if I wasn't clear.  Any OSA which supports SNA can be used by VM
> > VTAM.  However, VM VTAM will NOT perform SNA-over-IP encapsulation - it
> > is putting *native SNA* frames on the network.  (Enterprise Extender
> > does SNA-over-IP.)
> >
> > The Support Center made a true statement (that 100Mb FE OSA supports
> > SNA/APPN traffic), but it doesn't meet your requirement for SNA-over-IP.
> >
> > Look for an outboard box (not OSA) which supports DLSw.
> >

> If our DLSW is currently being converted to LLC and fed to
> the 2216, what do we need to do to get it into an OSE
> set up for SNA?

I have an OSA-E with an SNA address (defined using OSA/SF).
I do *not* have any vague idea what 'LLC' is, that's just what I was
told the router makes out of the incoming DLSW, and gives
to the 2216.

Can OSA-E "talk" LLC? or is another translation of some
sort required between it and the OSA SNA port?

Thanks!
Shimon

**
Shimon Lebowitz                mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
VM System Programmer           .
Israel Police National HQ.     http://www.poboxes.com/shimonpgp
Jerusalem, Israel              phone: +972 2 542-9877  fax: 542-9308
**