The background to this question is that we have 95% of our VM users
accessing the system via TCPIP TELNET sessions. However we have a handful
of remote users still accessing us via SNA and efforts to convert these to
IP seem to continually meet roadblocks.

For a number of reasons we want to remove VTAM from our main VM systems
but we do also have a small 'server' system. Our idea is, as an interim
solution, we route all SNA traffic to VTAM on the small server and then
use a session manager on that server to allow users to access our main
systems. (Load is very low - maximum 6-8 users at any one time - 200 users
in total).

However, if we do this we would like to make it as transparent as possible
so I have some questions :-

1)      Normally incoming terminal users use VSCS as the application -
could this be a different application (say a session manager).
2)      If we stay with VSCS, can this be set up to automatically 'dial'
to a session manager userid
3)      From the 'session manager' we would want to open a telnet session
to another VM system
4)      Are there any recommendations for free/cheap session manager (or
tools with which to build one).

The ideal would be for the SNA session to point to an application on the
small server which would then, transparently, take the user over a telnet
session to the target VM. I suspect that this is one step to far and they
would, at least, have to make a selection from a session manager panel.

Any advice/help would be welcome.

With best regards / mit den besten Grüßen,

Colin G Allinson
Technical Manager VM
Amadeus Data Processing GmbH
T +49 (0) 8122-43 49 75
F +49 (0) 8122-43 32 60
[EMAIL PROTECTED]
http://www.amadeus.com

IMPORTANT  -  CONFIDENTIALITY  NOTICE  - This e-mail is intended only for
the use of the individual or entity shown above as addressees . It may
contain information which is privileged, confidential or otherwise
protected from disclosure under applicable laws .  If the reader of this
transmission is not the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that
any dissemination, printing, distribution, copying, disclosure or the
taking of any action in reliance on the contents of this information is
strictly prohibited.  If you have received this transmission in error,
please immediately notify us by reply e-mail or using the address below
and delete the message and any attachments from your system .

Amadeus Data Processing GmbH
Geschäftsführer: Eberhard Haag
Sitz der Gesellschaft: Erding
HR München 48 199