As far as I know, there is nothing that would read the "hidden" files on
19E.  Unless you would still be running a special command (who's name is
probably GENDIRT) to store the pointers to these hidden files, you would
need to run this each time such a hidden file is moved.  So, IMHO all non-2
files could be removed (except VMSES PARTCAT)

When using SFS as Y-disk, make it a Directory Control Directory (DIRC) and
place it in a dataspace.  Make sure your end-users run with MACHINE XC, so
their CMS can directly read the files from the dataspace, (without the need
for data transfer from the SFS server over APPC).  Non-XC users can still
benefit from the dataspace, but will need some extra help from CP to have
the file data copied from the dataspace into their primary address space.  I
would think that a "dataspaced" directory can outperform the classic
19E-minidisk: the Y disk profits of shared FSTs; a dataspace directory has
shared FSTs and shared data.

My customer stores its application programs in an SFS dataspace and we use
the DLOR to cleanup.  It works perfectly weel, except for SAS: SAS used
parameters on the CSL calls to instruct SFS not to update the DOLR.  We had
SAS create a fix for this (and some SFS backups needed to be restored ...)

Beware too for "special tools": my customer uses my LOOK tool to scan files
for strings.  Without precautions such tools will set all  DOLRs to the date
someone searched...   My LOOK has since been updated to avoid that (no, I
don't think it is on VM's download lib, but I can send it).  Similar, a
simple BROWSE when one is curious will update the DOLR.  So, we have a PIEK
EXEC that avoids this (in Dutch "piek" is pronounced exactly like the
English "peek").

As James writes: SFS will not hide fm0 files.  Furthermore I would not be
surprised if an "ACCESS dirid Y/S * * Y2" would make that no dataspace is
used (the SFS server constructs a dataspace to be shared by all end-users,
and this form of ACCESS would ask for a filtered access).  Q SPACES
PERMITTED following the ACCESS can tell you.

--
Kris Buelens,
IBM Belgium, VM customer support