From: The IBM z/VM Operating System [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On
Behalf Of Alan Altmark
Sent: Thursday, June 14, 2007 3:17 PM
To: IBMVM@LISTSERV.UARK.EDU
Subject: Re: Y-disk housekeeping using SFS.

On Thursday, 06/14/2007 at 02:36 EST, Mike Walter
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
wrote:

> b) Why is it that filemode 0 (zero) files appear in a read-only SFS
filespace?
>  OK, the "ACCESS" doc does not mention MODE0 for anything but MDISKs.
 But why
> would it even be designed to show filemode 0 in read-only mode?

With SFS, we actually had a shared *file* system, with file-level ACLs.
Why give the *impression* of security, when we could provide the real
thing?  It also brought the mode 0 "Security Illusion" out into the
actinic glare of reality.  I remember a surprising number of people were

unaware that their mode 0 files weren't secure, just private.