From: The IBM z/VM Operating System [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On
Behalf Of O'Brien, Dennis L
Sent: Wednesday, June 20, 2007 9:32 PM
To: IBMVM@LISTSERV.UARK.EDU
Subject: PAV and SFS

Our DASD people have asked if they can replace our 3390-3 size DASD
volumes with 3390-9's.  My tentative answer is that most of the volumes
that contain minidisks can be moved, if the new DASD has PAV.  CP areas
such as paging should remain on 3390-3.  Our SFS servers have
3338-cylinder minidisks, one per volume.  My initial thought is that I
could put 3 of them on a 3390-9 with two PAV aliases, and the SFS server
could do one I/O to each minidisk at the same time, just like it can
when the minidisks are on separate volumes.

In the recent "dasd 3390 -27" thread, Kris Buelens said, "For SFS though
(and probably DB2) PAV is maybe of limited help: a given SFS server will
start only one I/O to all its minidisks on the same disk."  Is that
really true?  Does an SFS server look at the real devices or volsers
that its minidisks are on, and only start an I/O to one minidisk on a
volume at a time?

                                                       Dennis O'Brien

The three R's of Windows problem resolution: Retry, Reboot, Reinstall.

This message w/attachments (message) may be privileged, confidential or
proprietary, and if you are not an intended recipient, please notify the
sender, do not use or share it and delete it. Unless specifically indicated,
this message is not an offer to sell or a solicitation of any investment
products or other financial product or service, an official confirmation of any
transaction, or an official statement of Merrill Lynch. Subject to applicable
law, Merrill Lynch may monitor, review and retain e-communications (EC)
traveling through its networks/systems. The laws of the country of each
sender/recipient may impact the handling of EC, and EC may be archived,
supervised and produced in countries other than the country in which you are
located. This message cannot be guaranteed to be secure or error-free. This
message is subject to terms available at the following link:
http://www.ml.com/e-communications_terms/. By messaging with Merrill Lynch you
consent to the foregoing.