PAVs will not benefit SFS.   An SFS server (1 entity) can't be setup to do
multiple I/Os to the same minidisk.  Therefore, the VM I/O dispatcher
doesn't have anything (ie. multiple I/Os) to spread out over the real
system attached Aliases.

Regards, Steve.

Steve Wilkins
IBM z/VM Development

             Marcy Cortes
             <[EMAIL PROTECTED]
             ellsfargo.com>                                             To
             Sent by: The IBM          IBMVM@LISTSERV.UARK.EDU
             z/VM Operating                                             cc
             System
             <[EMAIL PROTECTED]                                     Subject
             ARK.EDU>                  Re: PAV and SFS

             06/21/2007 12:10
             AM

             Please respond to
               The IBM z/VM
             Operating System
             <[EMAIL PROTECTED]
                 ARK.EDU>

It depends!

I think you have to study your perf data and decide where your i/o
contention is.   We don't have it like we used to (pre IBM DS8000 and FICON
) --- have moved on to just CPU and memory issues :)

We've moved most of our disks to mod 9 (all of prod Linux and about 1/2 the
traditional CMS users) and the last 3 TB that went in I had them do mod 27
(makes creating large linux filesystems easier).  Not using PAV anywhere.
We just don't see the i/o queue that would warrant the effort.

On the dev/test system with 100 linux virtual servers and not enough memory
(24G real), we have about 50 mod 3's for paging.  I don't suspect moving
that to 16 mod 9's would be that much different.  16 is still pretty spread
out.  Now, if I had 3 page vols, I woudn't dream of putting them on 1 mod 9
:)

It is a bit confusing for the perf guys though ---- since disk size does
not
show up in the perf data!!!

And, I understood SFS to work like Kris said.  We have both 3s and 9s in
our
SFS - we always give it the whole vol (minus cyl 0 of course ).

Marcy Cortes

"This message may contain confidential and/or privileged information. If
you
are not the addressee or authorized to receive this for the addressee, you
must not use, copy, disclose, or take any action based on this message or
any information herein. If you have received this message in error, please
advise the sender immediately by reply e-mail and delete this message.
Thank
you for your cooperation."