> Even HALT seems to be going the way of the Dodo bird. I can't remember
> the last time it was used effectively here. We tend to not have much
> tape and no printer (we let MVS do what it is good at :-}) activity.

Ditto here (except for that nasty MVS thing). You guys have fixed all
the cases where HALT used to work..8-)

Then Alan said:

> I would say that human operators (not sysprogs) will tend to want
> - VARY / ATTACH / DETACH
> - FORCE / XAUTOLOG
> - SET / QUERY / INDICATE
> - START / DRAIN
> - WNG / MSG
> - HALT
> - ENABLE / DISABLE
> - SIGNAL
> - SNAPDUMP
> - SHUTDOWN

So, if we go with "O is for Operator", we can probably come up with
something, although the systems without ESMs are going to be
problematical.

> "YOU HAVE REQUESTED DEFINE MDISK ACCESS.  CONFIRMATION BY ANOTHER
> ADMINISTRATOR IS [NOT] REQUIRED.  PRESS F5 TO CONFIRM.  BY DOING SO
YOU
> SWEAR (OR AFFIRM) THAT A STATE OF EMERGENCY EXISTS AND THAT DEITY-LIKE
> POWER IS NECESSARY TO CORRECT THE SITUATION.  ALL COMMANDS FROM THIS
> POINT
> ON SHALL BE RECORDED FOR SUBSEQUENT AUDITING BY DATA SECURITY DRAGONS.
> THIS WARNING WILL NOT APPEAR AGAIN DURING THIS SESSION.
> "WELCOME AND THANK YOU FOR CHOOSING DEFINE MDISK TODAY.  PLEASE DRIVE
> CAREFULLY."

Or my all-time favorite from a real Thinking Machines CM/2:

CM/2 OS 3.51-2. 32,768 cores enabled.
CAUTION: Running unpartitioned: Safeties are off. Hazard perimeter is
on.

CM2-1>

*That* machine was cool. Bizarre, but cool.