I have found in the redbook that there is a so called Manual Mode, which is normally used for the service personnel to put the accessor in parking position and stop mounting of cartridges or in case of an error with the accessor. I have suggested to try this and mount the cartridge manually directly into the drive and copy the tape. I think, this should work.

Thank you to all who have responded. Let's hope, that IBM will either put labels on future installation cartridges or make it possible to mount unlabeled cartridges on the 3584 library.

kind regards
Franz Josef Pohlen

Rich Greenberg schrieb:
If you know the format of the barcode, perhaps you can print an
acceptable one on a gummed label and stick it on the cart.