> I wonder how large an m-disk I can allocate for this app without going
overboard.

The largest usable CMS minidisk you can define is 1 cylinder smaller
than the physical size of the volume where the minidisk resides (cyl 0
of the disk is used for the CP volume label).

If you need more space than that, and this is a CMS-based application,
you can use SFS, which allows you to allocate space to a userid that may
be physically spread across a pool of minidisks managed by a SFS server.
You can give a SFS server as many disks as you want(*) and it will
manage distributing the data effectively.

See the SFS Planning and Admin Guide for details on how to size and set
up SFS. It's a queer animal; know what you're up to before you set out
that direction. Note that SFS also has large impacts on system
management and tooling requirements (backup, etc).

-- db

(*) within reason. There is a limit, but it's large.