The question I was trying to bring up, as modified by your comments:

"Spool files are addressed as  volume_number,  cyl, track, record."

Is the "volume_number" always the cpowned number, or is it based on
type, in this case "spool type"?

Since we haven't come up with a definitive answer, and I guess you
can't easily test this, then the SPXTAPE is the only way to be sure you
don't loose your spool.

BTW, I take it that you don't normally backup spool or this wouldn't be
a problem at your installation.

Tom Duerbusch
THD Consulting

FELINE PHYSICS:
Law of Cat Motion

  A cat will move in a straight line, unless there is a really good
  reason to change direction.

>>> Jim Bohnsack <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> 9/19/2007 3:04 PM >>>
I can't really address Robert Nix's question.  I'd be leery of trying
it
without doing a SPXTAPE dump, however.

The question that Tom raised however referring to changing the order in

the CP owned list of a spool volume cannot be done without dumping and

reloading the spool.  This is because each CP owned volume has a number

in the CP owned list and if the "n'th" volume, which happens to contain

SPOOL space all of a sudden becomes "n'th+1" volume, you've just lost
what "was" on the volume.

Spool files are addressed as  volume_number,  cyl, track, record.

Jim

--
Jim Bohnsack
Cornell University