With more and more "tapeless" systems, something other than SPXTAPE is
required. As more and more products are delivered electronically, and there
is less need for tape other than backup, you'll see more systems without
access to a tape drive. Only one of my two z/VM systems has access to tape
at all, and getting a tape mounted is an exercise in patience and operator
education. It's not a viable solution for backing up the spool.

What is needed is an SPXTAPE pipe stage where the output or input could be
routed to other media. Or any other useful solution would be acceptable, as
long as it avoids the nasty "T" word.

--
   .~.    Robert P. Nix             Mayo Foundation
   /V\    RO-OE-5-55                200 First Street SW