Clifford,

I only answer because no one from Endicott has yet.

The DRCT cyls contain the "object" (or "compiled") form of the source
directory.  Over time, updates to the DRCT space cause fragmentation of
the space.  VM:Secure (and probably DIRMAINT, and maybe even DIRECTXA)
will, when needed, reorganize the space (VM:Secure calls it a directory
REBUILD).

That reorganization consolidates small directory entries on large cylinder
spaces so that fragments are moved to fill whole cylinders, leaving other
whole completely cylinders free.  That might explain why you see such a
dramatic change in allocated DRCT extents.

BTW, it's a "best practice" to over-allocate the DRCT space.  Since it
won't "commit" changes until everything has been successfully written to
disk, it needs at least as much space to reorganize as it is using.  I try
to ensure that we never get beyond about 40% full.  Disk is cheap compared
to down time when increasing DRCT cyls in a crisis.  The DRCT *can* be
increase on the fly, but very few people could do it without spending "a
while" with their head in manuals  - and even then are not sure until they
try it on a test system.  Plan ahead.

Mike Walter
Hewitt Associates
Any opinions expressed herein are mine alone and do not necessarily
represent the opinions or policies of Hewitt Associates.

"clifford jackson" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

Sent by: "The IBM z/VM Operating System" <IBMVM@LISTSERV.UARK.EDU>
09/20/2007 12:19 PM
Please respond to
"The IBM z/VM Operating System" <IBMVM@LISTSERV.UARK.EDU>

IBMVM@LISTSERV.UARK.EDU
cc

Subject
DRCT area question

Over the past few days I've done a 'q alloc drct' the % use has changed
from
45% to 50% and now to 15% what is this telling me

q alloc drct
                EXTENT     EXTENT                         %
VOLID  RDEV      START        END  TOTAL IN USE   HIGH USED
------ ---- ---------- ---------- ------ ------ ------ ----
510RES 1000          1         20     20      3      3  15% ACTIVE
                                  ------ ------        ----
SUMMARY                               20      3         15% CKD

Get a FREE small business Web site and more from Microsoftョ Office Live!
http://clk.atdmt.com/MRT/go/aub0930003811mrt/direct/01/

The information contained in this e-mail and any accompanying documents may
contain information that is confidential or otherwise protected from
disclosure. If you are not the intended recipient of this message, or if this
message has been addressed to you in error, please immediately alert the sender
by reply e-mail and then delete this message, including any attachments. Any
dissemination, distribution or other use of the contents of this message by
anyone other than the intended recipient is strictly prohibited. All messages
sent to and from this e-mail address may be monitored as permitted by
applicable law and regulations to ensure compliance with our internal policies
and to protect our business. Emails are not secure and cannot be guaranteed to
be error free as they can be intercepted, amended, lost or destroyed, or
contain viruses. You are deemed to have accepted these risks if you communicate
with us by email.