I was going to reply to this earlier but didn't remember all the facts. Mike reminded me of some of it. This was discussed on the list a year or 3 ago. Mike is right about cylinders being partially filled and that will show a cylinder as being used whether it has 1 page on it or is completely full. It seems to me that the response from one query command will show the number of cylinders with "anything" on them regardless how full and the response from another query command shows the percent of pages in the direct area that are filled. I don't remember which commands however. They must be QUERY ALLOC with MAP or DRCT, unless there is another QUERY command.

Jim

clifford jackson wrote:
Thanks Mike for your quick response....

From: Mike Walter <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: IBMVM@LISTSERV.UARK.EDU
Subject: Re: DRCT area question
Date: Thu, 20 Sep 2007 14:30:01 -0500

Clifford,

I only answer because no one from Endicott has yet.

The DRCT cyls contain the "object" (or "compiled") form of the source
directory.  Over time, updates to the DRCT space cause fragmentation of
the space.  VM:Secure (and probably DIRMAINT, and maybe even DIRECTXA)
will, when needed, reorganize the space (VM:Secure calls it a directory
REBUILD).

That reorganization consolidates small directory entries on large cylinder
spaces so that fragments are moved to fill whole cylinders, leaving other
whole completely cylinders free.  That might explain why you see such a
dramatic change in allocated DRCT extents.

BTW, it's a "best practice" to over-allocate the DRCT space.  Since it
won't "commit" changes until everything has been successfully written to
disk, it needs at least as much space to reorganize as it is using.  I try
to ensure that we never get beyond about 40% full.  Disk is cheap compared
to down time when increasing DRCT cyls in a crisis.  The DRCT *can* be
increase on the fly, but very few people could do it without spending "a
while" with their head in manuals  - and even then are not sure until they
try it on a test system.  Plan ahead.

Mike Walter
Hewitt Associates
Any opinions expressed herein are mine alone and do not necessarily
represent the opinions or policies of Hewitt Associates.

"clifford jackson" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

Sent by: "The IBM z/VM Operating System" <IBMVM@LISTSERV.UARK.EDU>
09/20/2007 12:19 PM
Please respond to
"The IBM z/VM Operating System" <IBMVM@LISTSERV.UARK.EDU>

IBMVM@LISTSERV.UARK.EDU
cc

Subject
DRCT area question

Over the past few days I've done a 'q alloc drct' the % use has changed
from
45% to 50% and now to 15% what is this telling me

q alloc drct
                EXTENT     EXTENT                         %
VOLID  RDEV      START        END  TOTAL IN USE   HIGH USED
------ ---- ---------- ---------- ------ ------ ------ ----
510RES 1000          1         20     20      3      3  15% ACTIVE
SUMMARY                               20      3         15% CKD

Get a FREE small business Web site and more from Microsoftƒ‡ Office Live!
http://clk.atdmt.com/MRT/go/aub0930003811mrt/direct/01/

The information contained in this e-mail and any accompanying documents may contain information that is confidential or otherwise protected from disclosure. If you are not the intended recipient of this message, or if this message has been addressed to you in error, please immediately alert the sender by reply e-mail and then delete this message, including any attachments. Any dissemination, distribution or other use of the contents of this message by anyone other than the intended recipient is strictly prohibited. All messages sent to and from this e-mail address may be monitored as permitted by applicable law and regulations to ensure compliance with our internal policies and to protect our business. Emails are not secure and cannot be guaranteed to be error free as they can be intercepted, amended, lost or destroyed, or contain viruses. You are deemed to have accepted these risks if you communicate with us by email.

It’s the Windows Live™ Hotmail® you love — on your phone! http://www.microsoft.com/windowsmobile/mobilehotmail/default.mspx?WT.mc_ID=MobileHMTagline2

--
Jim Bohnsack
Cornell University