I pretty sure that for DRCT there is no Q ALLOC command option that looks at
the pages in use, it only looks at cylinders in use.  Cylinders in use is
easily found by reading the Allocation byte map in cylinder 0: I'm not 100%
sure but x40 might stand for a free DCRT cylinder, while xC0 is a DRCT
cylinder in use.  The DIRECTXA command uses these values to see where it can
write the new object directory)

For PAGE & SPOOL the story in different, the original Q ALLOC command
counted the in use based on cylinders with at least some usage, with the new
MAP option, the usage is based on pages, hence more acccurate.

--
Kris Buelens,
IBM Belgium, VM customer support