On 10/17/07, Austin, Alyce (CIV) <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> I assume I could also bring my "new" system up lst level
> rather than 2nd level since I have an additional LPAR available; or, do
> I have to bring it up 2nd level first (with the new volumes attached)
> and then bring it up lst level?

The big advantage is about isolating your test from production. Unless
you are doing very strict access lists in the LPAR profile, your 2nd
LPAR will have access to the same volumes are the primary VM system.
If you miss one of the changes in your system configuration file or
make another mistake, you may crash your primary VM system.
For most things, the class G virtual machine isolates you from the
real stuff and is a safe place to try things. And there's no risk you
pick the wrong LPAR on the HMC or so.

Rob
--
Rob van der Heij