Thanks for the console log; The most interesting command you¹ve shown here
is:

QUERY NAMES
> LINUXFTP - DSC , PERFSVM  - DSC , TCPIP     - DSC , DTCVSW2  - DSC
> DTCVSW1  - DSC , OPERSYMP - DSC , DISKACNT - DSC , EREP      - DSC
> TCPMAINT - DSC , BEADEV01 -L0003
VSM     - TCPIP

This tells you what is logged in on your system. Of these users, most can be
accounted for as standard z/VM service machines. The two that are not, are
BEADEV01 and LINUXFTP (although this could be TCPIP¹s ftpserve under a
different name; You¹d have to log into it to see if it really is running
Linux.)

>From the others, I¹d say you have a vSwitch active (because DTCVSW1 and 2
are the controllers for a vSwitch) and you have the IBM Performance Toolkit
(the service machine PERFSVM). I¹m not sure why TCPMAINT would be logged in
disconnected. This isn¹t needed for anything. OPERSYMP, DISKACNT and EREP
are collectors for various information produced by z/VM. I¹m surprised to
not see OPERATOR logged in on a terminal.

The user you need to log into (due to the fact that it has the ³keys to the
cabinet²) is MAINT. MAINT is the equivalent to Linux¹s root account. Since I
don¹t see DIRMAINT running on your system, I¹d assume that the current CP
Directory is on one of MAINT¹s minidisks, probably named USER DIRECT. You
need to be able to log into MAINT to perform even minor maintenance tasks on
the system. Hopefully someone has left you the password.

The reason that you immediately see a Linux logon when you log into the
system is that you¹re logging into a user that is running a Linux guest. You
need your own, personal userid, so that you can easily log in and issue
commands. Once you find the CP Directory, it should be a simple task to add
one for yourself.

Key to stepping into all this mud would be to look at the CP Administration
and Customization manual. It describes the contents of the CP Directory file
and how to put it into production, and also describes the SYSTEM CONFIG
file, found on MAINT¹s CF1, 2, and 3 minidisks.

Do lots of querys and look at the files that MAINT and TCPMAINT control.
Don¹t change anything until you understand what those changes will affect.

Good luck, and good hunting.

--
   .~.    Robert P. Nix             Mayo Foundation
   /V\    RO-OE-5-55              200 First Street SW