Thanks Colleen.  Could you please pass this response back to DirMaint Support?

This is our production system, and we certainly want to control who can issue DirMaint commands. The question is the best way to do this. In general we want to make things secure, but also easy to use for the few authorized userids.

Note that we do NOT give DirMaint authority to all of our users. We give it to a few systems programmers, and a few staff at the Help Desk that are responsible for creating VM userids.

To do this, we use the following DirMaint configuration files:

AUTHFOR CONTROL
AUTHDASD DATADVH

(Jim was probably thinking of AUTHFOR CONTROL when he said AUTHBY CONTROL.)

We also use RACF to restrict access to 5VMDIR30 11F, the DirMaint primary interface code disk, to only the userids we intend to have DirMaint privileges.

With all of that in place to restrict who can issue DirMaint commands, we don't want to also have to have each privileged user respond with a password to use DirMaint.

I'll leave it up to Jim to respond to "If he would follow the documentation given with the product he is informed of everything he needs to know about." First he needs to take more of his blood pressure medicine.

Thanks,

Mark Bodenstein  ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
Cornell University