The IBM z/VM Operating System <IBMVM@LISTSERV.UARK.EDU> wrote on
12/08/2007 07:31:05 PM:

> > > Handing each guest its own HBA (host bus adapter,
> > > the open systems term for and FCP adapter) kind of blows
> > > one of the reasons to go virtual.
> >
> > Eh?  480 servers can use a single FCP adapter (chpid) concurrently.
That's
> > the whole point of N_port ID virtualization: 480 separate fabric
> > endpoints.
>
> No no ... it's not a question of how many guests can share an
> FCP adapter.  The trouble is that directly connected guests are
> managerially more like discrete systems, so there is no way from VM
> to manage the storage.
>
> N_port ID virtualization adds to this because the storage
> is restricted to a specific FCP adapter.  Then if we need to
> give that LUN (or LUNs) to a different guest, we have to give
> the FCP adapter to it.  What if the recipient already has an FCP
> adapter?  It might be better to leverage the adapter already there.
>
> -- R;

Well, NPIV was necessary.  Without it, lots of functions were broken.  The
LUN access control stuff that we implemented only fixed some of these
problems.

FWIW, the problems you describe aren't unique to the mainframe.  SMI-S is
supposed to be the industry standard fix for all of the management
problems, but I do not know much about it.

Ray Higgs
System z FCP Development
Bld. 706, B24
2455 South Road