About 4-6 weeks ago I was spinning my wheels trying to bring up a new release of DIRMAINT with z/VM 5.3. I was getting nowhere trying to get our userid admin. people authenticated without having to tell each of the to enter "DIRM NEEDPASS NO". There were quite a few postings on the list under the thread of DIRM NEEDPASS NO. Eventually Alan Altmark (or perhaps Chuckie) said I should open a PMR. I did that as a doc problem and had talks with DIRMAINT development. I finally closed the PMR without any resolution because I think that the documentation is really a symptom of the real problem. I told DIRMAINT development that I was going to throw my interpretation of what the "real problem" is out to the list and see if anyone agreed with me and if the list inhabitants could come up with some usable suggestions.

I think that the "real problem" is that as DIRMAINT has matured or grown or added features, more and more types of authentication have been discovered as having been needed and have been added in. What we have is an authentication system or a control system in a product that has the original design purpose of managing the system directory and not securing the system but that now, it appears, a lot of DIRMAINT is an authentication system. I think that identification of what different classes of DIRMAINT users such as:
Administration
DASD Mgmt
General Users
Helpdesk
Password Monitor
System Operator
DASD Mgmt automated programs, i.e. DFSMS/VM
Support Programmer
Internal Communication

and authentication of those different users or functions sounds a lot like what CP privilege classes do (sort of but without a lot of granularity) or an ESM such as RACF/VM or VM:Secure does. This is not a DIRMAINT documentation problem, it's more basic than that. This involves a greatly different DIRMAINT. A new version or a totally different product. It would most likely also involve, using my suggested uses of CP priv classes or an ESM, so additional or redefined CP priv classes, or ESM extentions such as new RACF (or whatever) CLASSes.

What you do all think or am I the only one who thinks that this is a problem in DIRMAINT or an "opportunity" for improvement?

Jim

Jim Bohnsack
Cornell University
(607) 255-1760