That would be nice if A) I could easily hook my other appls into the scheme,
and B) There was no additional charge.

-----Original Message-----
From: The IBM z/VM Operating System [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Behalf Of Alan Altmark
Sent: Tuesday, December 11, 2007 1:01 PM
To: IBMVM@LISTSERV.UARK.EDU
Subject: Re: DIRMAINT authentication

On Tuesday, 12/11/2007 at 09:28 EST, Jim Bohnsack <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
wrote:

> What you do all think or am I the only one who thinks that this is a
> problem in DIRMAINT or an "opportunity" for improvement?

To be clear, you're talking about *authorization*, not *authentication*.
As of z/VM 5.3, I think all of the most widely used servers perform
authentication via the central DMSPASS service which talks to CP or the
ESM as needed, quietly and automatically, with no pre-configuration
required.

z/VM is missing, IMO, a centralized approach to authorization.  VMRM,
PerfKit, TCPIP, DFSMS, DIRMAINT, and RSCS all suffer from a parochial view
of authorization.

In z/OS, command authorization is approached by creating a structured set
of command authorizations managed by the ESM.  For example, DIRMAINT might
define various authorities:

- DIRMAINT.ADMIN.FILEGET     the ability to retrieve any of the DIRMAINT
config files
- DIRMAINT.ADMIN.FILEPUT     the ability to DIRM FILE any config file
- DIRMAINT.HELPDESK.PWRESET  the ability to reset any user's password
- DIRMAINT.HELPDESK.REVIEW   the ability to look at any user's directory
(sans password)
- DIRMAINT.FOR.ALAN       any (otherwise authorized) command only for user
ALAN

And so on.  The ESM can apply its own conventions to those authorities.
RACF, for example, allows generic profiles such as:
- DIRMAINT.**             any DIRMAINT command
- DIRMAINT.FOR.**         ... against any user
- DIRMAINT.ADMIN.**       any DIRMAINT administrative command not
affecting userids
- DIRMAINT.HELPDESK.**    all helpdesk commands
- DIRMAINT.HELPDESK.PWRESET ACC(NONE)  ...except for PWRESET

This allows you to be as generic or as specific as you like.  To the
extent that authorizations are granted to named groups, simply connecting
a user to a group immediately gives the user all the authorizations
granted to the group.  Set up your policy once, then apply it with a
single command for each new administrator.

While the resource access model is RACFish, it is defined by the RACROUTE
interface, the Official z/VM ESM application interface.  The ESMs can have
their own implementation and rules without having to surface the RACFisms.