On Dec 13, 2007, at 10:30 AM, Jorge Souto wrote:

We're currently doing rexec from z/OS to z/VM, but we're wondering if is it possible to use a secure alternative, like openssh. I've read something about the z/VM openssl server, but it doesn't provide ssh.

Any experiences?

There is not an ssh server for VM, but there are a couple of alternatives.

One is to set up ssh on a Linux guest user, and have that user run c3270 as its shell, pointing at your VM stack. The Linux-VM traffic is in the clear, but you can set that up so it's on the same guest LAN (or even an IUCV connection) so it stays on the box rather that going to an actual network.

Or you can use SSLSERV and just do ssl-wrapped telnet, which isn't ssh but is pretty much as good in terms of protecting your traffic.

Adam