On Monday, 12/31/2007 at 12:07 EST, "Schuh, Richard" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
wrote:
> Then I guess FT it will be. I cannot really climb into either, as source
> is distruibuted with neither. I would be asking IBM to do all of the
> climbing.

Eh?  Source to most of TCP/IP is available, including the FTP server.  See
section 2.3 of the z/VM 5.3 Program Directory.  But I didn't mean that
*you* should do the investigation, just that you should open the PMR with
the TCP/IP team rather than SFS.

> We cannot reproduce the problem at will. Sometimes, it hits once per day
> at different times of the day. Other times, it might not strike for 6-8
> months. Even in our current state, which is relatively frequent
> ocurrence, it may be a week or two between hits. There were two hits on
> Friday, but none over the weekend. That makes tracing kind of iffy. Do
> you have any particular FTP server trace in mind?

There's only one server trace, all or nothing.  My approach would be a
Support Center-provided trap in the server to catch an append operation
wherein the target file shows a zero length, or a trap that dumps relevant
information in the event an APPEND fails.