From: The IBM z/VM Operating System [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On =
Behalf Of Jim Bohnsack
Sent: Wednesday, January 23, 2008 9:42 AM
To: IBMVM@LISTSERV.UARK.EDU
Subject: Re: how to wait for dfsmsrm command

Phillip--This is what I do in an exec that gets kicked off to do an=20
SPXTAPE of DCS's.  This is the wait routine after the DFSMSRM MOUNT is=20
issued.  Here is the MOUNT, just for reference:

'CP SM OP CMD DFSMSRM MOUNT VOL 'nextape' (LIBNAME 'lib,
   'READWR ATTACH 'userid()' VDEV 181'                 =20

This is the WAIT procedure:

/* TAPEWAIT: Wait until a tape has been attached */                 =20
tapewait: procedure expose op rcode disc;                           =20
   parse upper arg vaddr volser                                     =20
   mounted =3D 0                                                      =20
   do 24 until mounted /* 2 hours */                                =20
      do 30 until mounted /* 5 minutes */                           =20
         Parse Value DiagRC(8,'QUERY VIRTUAL 181') With rc .        =20
         if rc=3D0 then do; mounted=3D1; iterate; end;                   =

         'CP SLEEP 10 SEC'                                          =20
         if rc =AC=3D 0 then do; say 'WAITC RC' rc; exit rc; end;        =

         end                                                        =20
      end                                                           =20
   if =ACmounted then do                                              =20
      call emsg 'TAPE SETUP HAS NOT BEEN HONORED.'                  =20
      rcode =3D max(16,rcode)                                         =20
      signal done                                                   =20
      end                                                           =20
   return                                                           =20

Jim

[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
--=3D_alternative 0080D6BF862573D8_=3D

we use a disconnected server machine to run SPXTAPE backup.
an EXEC used to write to 3480, but we are removing the 3480s and i =
need=20
it to write to a 3494 controlled 3590.

i'm having trouble getting figuring out how to have it wait for the=20
DFSMSRM MOUNT command to complete.

how do i get the output in response to the DFSMSRM MOUNT into REXX so=20
i can determine whether to continue with the SPXTAPE command?

do i use WAKEUP (IUCVMSG  ?

prg

Phillip Gramly
Systems Programmer