I have never found the MEMO (must be IBM internal only). I have never tri
ed
anything more than just letting it sit and wait forever. My backup/restor
procedures are rather simplistic and I am the error recovery for things l
ike
the operators forgot to fill the stackers with scratch tapes before they
left on Friday, or no more tapes in the SCRATCH2/SCRATCH4 categories for
DFSMS (my fault), or we left that restore tape back at home.

Since I don't have any operators to complain to when my backups are runni
ng,
there is no real reason to timeout after say 5 minutes to nag the operato
rs.
DFSMS does do a nice job of just waiting for a free 3590 drive when I sta
rt
6 backup jobs but only have 3 drives. Two hours later the drives cone fre
and the next job in line gets the first free drive. WAITDEV just sits
waiting nicely.

If anyone does have a 'Wait for arbitrary device with timeout and console

override', please tell us about it.

To Rich Schuh, sorry for not knowing the real nature of the VTAPE product
,
but again, it isn't something my client would use.

/Tom Kern

On Wed, 23 Jan 2008 13:33:34 -0500, Jim Bohnsack <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wro
te: