Richard,

I'm not sure about SPI's product, but if you want to test the site for
potential vulnerabilities and likely attack vectors, you can also try open
source tools like nmap and nikto. Nikto in particular is good at checking
Web servers in particular. There's Nessus as well, but they took that
closed source; at least some versions of it survive in free and open source
tho. Google any of the tool names for further information.

If the Web server itself is using VM tools like CMS pipelines and REXX, I
would say you will be hard pressed to find scanner tools that address
those. You may want to check OWASP, the Web Application security project,
and look at the security of the system from the opposite point of view:
were the applications developed with sound coding practices (i.e., are you
checking all the inputs to eliminate buffer overflows  and such). I would
also guess that an application infrastructure based on CMS pipelines and
REXX would be more secure/trusted than, say, PHP or full-blown Ruby based
systems, since VM is more bullet proof to the types of mistakes that screw
up Web apps, and the tools are so esoteric in this day and age.

Of course, that also depends on how tempting the target is. Given the
domain name of your e-mail, I would guess the target is very tempting
indeed...

---
Mark Boltz, CISSP, NSA-IAM, CSGI
Sr. Solutions Architect
[EMAIL PROTECTED]       http://www.stonesoft.com
Toll Free:  1.866.869.4075     Cell: 1.571.246.2233
Fax:  1.703.288.4811          Direct: 1.703.288.0208

8133 Leesburg Pike, Suite 610
Vienna, VA 22182-2730     USA

             "Schuh, Richard"
             <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
             Sent by: The IBM                                           To
             z/VM Operating            IBMVM@LISTSERV.UARK.EDU
             System                                                     cc
             <[EMAIL PROTECTED]
             ARK.EDU>                                              Subject
                                       Security Scans

             01/17/2008 12:36
             PM

             Please respond to
               The IBM z/VM
             Operating System
             <[EMAIL PROTECTED]
                 ARK.EDU>

Does anyone know if the SPI Dynamics AMP security scanner work on a
VM-based web site? Another one of those rules like we discussed yesterday,
the ones created in a vacuum? Since everything on the site is Rexx and CMS
Pipelines, I have my doubts. Rexx, possibly (except for the non-compliant
CMS file structure); CMS Pipelines, very unlikely.

Regards,
Richard Schuh