My R.O.T. is always define 1 virtual processor.
Except when performance data shows that more than one is better. :)
Also, you should never (except in certain really weird cases) define more virtual processors than you have real processors.

Paul Vincent wrote:
Hello List,

I'm new to z/VM and have a question.  Should I define virtual processors to
z/VM service ids/guests (TCPIP, Linux guests...) with the 'MACHINE ESA ## &
CPU #' control statements in the USER DIRECT file?  Is there a performance
benefit/cost, if I have more than 1 IFL, to define virtual processors equal
to the number of IFLs?  Or will a single virtual processor perform just
fine.

--
Stephen Frazier
Information Technology Unit