That’s a good list. Here are some more ideas from our shop:

I'd first want to make sure that VM:Secure works. Trying to log on is a

good test. New functions will already have been tested second level.

Then I'd want to make sure that we can IPL z/OS and z/Linux guests.

Then the rest of the VM:Manager suite.

Our current management asks us to test ALL our program products, using th
IVP or whatever other test we can come up with for each one. That
exercises CMS. I don't thing that's really necessary, as CMS hasn't
changed in a long time and problems with program products are now
extremely rare.

We also have to test our CP exits and the two mods VMSI VPARS and VTAPE.

We test those all second level before we ever get into production, though
.
We have a couple of times been bitten by something that worked differentl
at first level than second level.

In general, I think you should concentrate on whatever is most important

to your shop - your bread and butter. So an IBM IVP would probably be of

limited use.

In our shop, most of the important things, like z/OS guests on some
systems, and VM:Sched jobs on others, get run automatically when we bring

the systems up, so all we really have to do is watch for a few hours on

Sunday. (We IPL very early on Sunday.)

We have had a number of problems with DB2 Private Data Spaces in z/VM
5.2.0 and 5.3.0, so that also we test at second level, then again first

level. (We still have 5.2.0 running on one last system, due to a problem

in this area that we discovered second level. It took us 2 months to
reproduce it.)

I guess the general principle is that if you have had a problem in some

area in the recent past, it’s important to put that on your test list.

Alan Ackerman
Alan (dot) Ackerman (at) Bank of America (dot) com

On Fri, 15 Feb 2008 12:49:56 -0500, Doug Breneman <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

wrote:

>Hi All,
>Many years ago there was an Installation Verification Procedure for VM.
>This was mostly directed toward CMS tasks.  We found that this was not

very