On Tue, 19 Feb 2008 18:26:37 -0500, Alan Altmark <[EMAIL PROTECTED]

wrote:

>Free advice: Always run DIRECTXA against your last known-good directory
>when the system comes up after a DR restore unless you know that the
>object and source directories are in sync.  (You don't know, unless the
>system was down during the backup.)

If you have the last known-good source directory the only reason I know o
it would be out-of-synch with the object directory is if a DIRECTXA was

done during the window between when the DRCT cylinders are backed up and

when the MDISK with the source is backed up.

The problem is *knowing* whether a given directory source is the one used

to create the current object directory.  If someone updated the source

directory without putting it online I don't want to blindly put it online

making a change with unknown implications.  Finding the source that
matches the active directory of a working system is preferable to forcing

the object to match a source I happen to have.  The date/time the object

directory was created along with the date/time stamp and filename of the

file used to create the object directory would be useful information if

you're not sure which source matches the object.  More useful would be a

tool to create the source from the object, as was mentioned earlier.

In any case, having and following good procedures mitigates some of the

risk and can help in recoverying from deviations to the procedures.

Brian Nielsen