The term I've used to describe your observations is "Unconsciously
Competent". We tend to work as a reflex action similar to driving a car,
shifting gears, working the pedals, etc...   It is scary too.  Ever
daydreamed while driving??

Jim Hughes
603-271-5586
"There's no sense in being precise when you don't even know what you're
talking about."
John von Neumann