> The goal will be to put the identified guest to 'sleep' until we can
> evaluate if it is truly causing issues.   ...

I think I have followed this whole thread,
and I don't seem to recall either of these suggested:

        cp send cp thebadguest sleep
         -or-
        cp send cp thebadguest stop

If all you want to do is "hit the red button" for a period,
then issue a CP STOP command.  Then CP BEGIN when you want to resume.
You could also issue a CP SLEEP with or without a time.  (Usually used
with a time spec.  Without a time spec, CP BEGIN or console interrupt
to wake up and resume execution.)

>From the console of that guest, with default TERM LINEND, try

        #cp sleep
         -or-