Still have the VTAM cow here though it may have gone to its final lonely
pasture. (NETVIEW, SAS and other cows are gone now).

________________________________

From: The IBM z/VM Operating System [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On
Behalf Of Colin Allinson
Sent: Thursday, April 03, 2008 3:47 AM
To: IBMVM@LISTSERV.UARK.EDU
Subject: Re: VTAM R.I.P.

Rob van der Heij <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote :-

> Z NET,QUICK

Couldn't be 'QUICK' enough for us. We managed to eliminate it from VM by
the middle of last year. We went back to using basic mode CTC
connections to z/OS until they got themselves up to 1.7 with the ability
to use TCPNJE.

The interesting thing was that it was the huge cost of VTAM that was the
main motivation for us. Given that the product was functionally
stabilised and needed virtually zero support for a number of years we
were struggling to see why.

Once we looked at VTAM, and eliminated it, this led us to look at a
number of other relatively high cost products that we have ways to
eliminate, replace or reduce. I am not saying that we would not have
looked at these anyway but the high cost of VTAM was the catalyst to
start looking.

Colin Allinson

Amadeus Data Processing GmbH

destroy all copies.