From: The IBM z/VM Operating System [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On
Behalf Of [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: Monday, April 07, 2008 12:41 PM
To: IBMVM@LISTSERV.UARK.EDU
Subject: newbie question - SERVICE machine

what is the SERVICE machine for?
i don't see it started in AUTOLOG1, yet there it is running.
and it is not running disconnected, but on a terminal address.

a look at its PROFILE EXEC doesn't reveal anything.
searching on 'service' in the CP Planning and Admin book has so
many hits that i gave up and turned to the VM list.

what does it do?
where does it get started?
can it run disconnected?

the underlying issue is that i want to remove a 3174 controller and
it is using one of the addresses.
do i need to give it an address on my OSA-ICC?

prg

Phillip Gramly
Systems Programmer
Communications Data Group