Decommissioning is entirely between your CE and your site.

Ask your CE if he/she has other ways to obtain hardware error information
instead of this old application.  If so (and probably) then he/she will
probably not care.  And you'll save a little electrical power, too!

Mike Walter
Hewitt Associates
Any opinions expressed herein are mine alone and do not necessarily
represent the opinions or policies of Hewitt Associates.

P.S. We had one of these things connected to our z/OS system, and now that
my memory has been "freshened", I used to SENDFILE the VM EREP data to a
TSO userid on a separate z/OS system which was logged on by a similar PC
to read it and append to the file created by z/OS.  The CE had a somewhat
pictorial view, and error records for "problem" hardware.

[EMAIL PROTECTED]

Sent by: "The IBM z/VM Operating System" <IBMVM@LISTSERV.UARK.EDU>
04/07/2008 02:25 PM
Please respond to
"The IBM z/VM Operating System" <IBMVM@LISTSERV.UARK.EDU>

IBMVM@LISTSERV.UARK.EDU
cc

Subject
Re: newbie question - SERVICE machine

so is this obsolete?
since we have a 2096 with an HMC, can this PC 350 in the corner be
decommissioned?

prg

Phillip Gramly
Systems Programmer
Communications Data Group
Champaign, IL Mike Walter

Work: 847.771.9212
Cell: 847.778.1373
Home: 847.949.4914

The IBM z/VM Operating System <IBMVM@LISTSERV.UARK.EDU> wrote on
04/07/2008 01:58:45 PM:

> Looking at the ACCOUNT record/entry gives a bit of a clue since it says
> IBMCE.  I tend to agree with one of the other posters that it was setup
> for sending EREP records to a PC.  I remember setting up a user for
> this purpose a long time ago.  I don?t remember what the userid was.
> Someone else made a comment about the RDR seems to be ready to receive
> seems to be ready to accept input sometimes referred to as a hot RDR.
> It seems EREP could be set up to send data to the userid and then it
> got sent to a PC.  I don?t remember if the PC woke up every so often,
> connected to SERVICE in this case, got the data and then logged off.
> The PC then processed the records based on some criteria and I think
> could even page the CE if something was critical.  I guess it was the
> precursor to the HMC function.
> Steve

The information contained in this e-mail and any accompanying documents may
contain information that is confidential or otherwise protected from
disclosure. If you are not the intended recipient of this message, or if this
message has been addressed to you in error, please immediately alert the sender
by reply e-mail and then delete this message, including any attachments. Any
dissemination, distribution or other use of the contents of this message by
anyone other than the intended recipient is strictly prohibited. All messages
sent to and from this e-mail address may be monitored as permitted by
applicable law and regulations to ensure compliance with our internal policies
and to protect our business. E-mails are not secure and cannot be guaranteed to
be error free as they can be intercepted, amended, lost or destroyed, or
contain viruses. You are deemed to have accepted these risks if you communicate
with us by e-mail.